Severe flooding over this winter has had a major impact on local communities. It is estimated that the total cost of damage will reach £1.3bn and already £24m in emergency funds has been supplied to support families and businesses that need help throughout this tough time. It is also important that businesses not only recover as quickly as possible but also as safely as possible. Below we have provided some useful tips to help you recover from the floods.
How can I reduce the risks from floodwater?
- Avoid direct contact with floodwater wherever possible. The water may contain contaminants from sewers and may have mixed with chemicals throughout the area. If you have to go into the water, wear waterproof gloves and rubber boots.
- Take extra caution if you have to go into floodwater. There may be many hidden dangers within the water that aren’t visible such as sharp objects or raised manhole covers.
- Be wary of open cuts and sores. Use waterproof plasters to protect from infection.
How can I dry my premises safely?
- Do not use petrol or diesel generators as they can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, which can kill.
- Ensure good ventilation when using portable indoor heaters to dry indoor spaces the quickest.
What about the electrical safety of the building and any equipment?
- Do not touch any sources of electricity when standing in water. If you are concerned about electrical equipment make sure you get it checked by a qualified electrician.
How can I clean up?
- Wear rubber boots, overalls, waterproof gloves and goggles. It’s important to protect yourself from contaminants and chemicals which could be splashed around throughout the clean-up process.
- Be aware that high pressure hoses can blast contamination into the air. It is important to wear protection for your eyes and face.
- Always wash your hands and safety clothing after each clean-up.
Don’t hesitate to contact us. We have vast experience in flood clean-ups within our specialist branch, Cordant Specialist Services. We also provide call out maintenance services for mechanical and electrical faults provided by Cordant Technical.